Saturday, December 6, 2014

Michael Brown, Eric Garner, and Tamir Rice

Note: I acknowledge that not all officers fall into this category. You do have some officers who value their job and do what’s right. A big thank you to the ones who are fair and just to everybody! I, and many others deeply appreciate you!

Isn’t your job supposed to serve and protect ALL of us? Then let me ask this important question. Why is it that every time I turn on the news another black man has been killed? I mean, can you explain this to me? There’s absolutely no explanation that you could give that would excuse the killings that have been going on as of late. Well, let me take that back. This actually isn’t anything new. White officers have gotten away with killing black men for the longest time. But, I must admit, it’s a good thing to see Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and many other races standing together for justice. Standing together because they know in their hearts that what we’re witnessing is wrong.

I’m beginning to question the justice system on a new level now. You’re allowing police officers to kill black men like it’s the thing to do. Are you trying to send a message? Are you trying to pump fear into minorities? What is it? I’d like to know.

Let’s not turn a blind eye to what’s going on all around the country. Racism is still VERY much alive and police officers aren’t exempt. We all have to remember this one thing: Police Officers are human beings and they have their biases too.

Some officers are racist. Let’s not be fooled into thinking that all officers are created equal, because they aren’t. Some officers are bullies. Some officers joined the force with ill intentions. Some officers are cruel and have no empathy for others. Some officers have hidden agendas and they look for an opportunity to start trouble “just because.” Some officers get off on racial profiling. They live for it, and it’s funny to them. Some officers are just pure jerks! They’re filled with rage and hate. Some officers couldn’t wait for the day that they got their badge. Game on!

How do you live with yourselves? Killing people that didn’t have to die? How do you justify that? You’re supposed to uphold the law, but you’re secretly playing the law. You tell so many lies just to cover up what REALLY happened. But you’re an officer, right? So that makes it okay.

Isn’t it amazing how you arrest people for things that YOU do yourself? Oh, you don’t know what I’m talking about? You arrest people for domestic violence, but behind closed doors, you’re a monster yourself. You arrest people for drinking and driving, texting and driving, and driving recklessly, but let’s just be honest here. You haven’t been caught, but you’ve done it too. You arrest people for selling and using drugs. You know the truth! You know you like to party and get wild sometimes. You arrest people for all sorts of things on a daily basis and the reality of the matter is this: Some of the things you arrest people for you’re doing yourself. Hmm…Imagine that! That’s some food-for-thought for you.

How dare you act like you’re SO perfect when you know darn well that you have skeletons in your closet that nobody knows about?!

I’m so sick and tired of some officers exaggerating the situations. Take note:

• I felt threatened
• He was reaching for something under his clothes
• I warned him, but he wouldn’t stop
• I had no other choice

And the list literally goes on and on. Do you not value people’s lives? Do you not think about the hurt and pain that you are causing families? I’ll ask the question again: Aren’t you supposed to serve and protect ALL of us?

What is your problem? Why must you use unnecessary force? Why do you shoot to kill an unarmed man? Have you NOT been trained to shoot to disable your suspect? I mean come on! We all know that you go through extensive training. You know how and where to shoot to kill.

Let me get this straight. Hands up in the air and yet another young black male is dead. Or here’s another one for you: Did it really take you putting an unarmed man in a chokehold until you killed him? Oh, but it doesn’t stop there. How do you shoot and kill a minor with a toy gun? I’d be literally typing all night long if I were to name off all of the black men that are now dead because of our “good ol’ officers.”

This cannot continue to go on. Our black men do matter and they do count! And people all over, from different backgrounds and different races, are making that clear. They’re sending a powerful message that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. There is an overwhelming distrust between cops and the communities. We didn’t create this. You did!

We’ve got too much as it is going on in this world. Can’t we just put racism behind us and have peace? What is it going to take? Who’s going to stand up for what is right? I challenge you to think about this: Who are YOU? Why did you REALLY become a police officer? Only you know the real answer to that question.

I, too, as a black woman have experienced racism from police officers on many occasions and I’ve never been in trouble with the law. It’s downright disgusting to me. I can’t explain how that makes me feel. I just know it doesn’t feel good at all. Why can’t I drive a nice car? Why can’t I live in a nice neighborhood? Why can’t my daughter attend the best schools? Why can’t I have all of this and not be judged? Why must you think that I’m selling drugs or doing something wrong because I have nice things? Reality check: All black people aren’t the same. I would appreciate it if you would stop being ignorant in your thinking. It’s not a good look!

Your job is to serve and protect. Not harass people, bully people, or mistreat people. Your job is NOT to take advantage of your badge and power. Your job is to simply do what’s right. Can you do that?


- Stephanie Lahart (Author & Poet)